Careers at Virginia Space
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients. Whether it's preparing for a launch or working on our UAS runway, our industry promises to be fun and full of new experiences.
Virginia Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We are looking for an innovative Civil engineer to design, develop and construct a huge range of projects of the physically and naturally built environment from conception through to completion. You will have a say in how the world looks like, work in a fast growing dynamic industry, contribute towards healthy economies and make a lasting positive impact to society.
- Manage, design, develop, create and maintain small-scale through to large-scale construction projects in a safe, timely and sustainable manner
- Conduct on site investigations and analyze data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other)
- Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications
- Assess potential risks, materials and costs
- Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
- Oversee and mentor staff and liaise with a variety of stakeholders
- Handle over the resulting structures and services for use
- Monitor progress and compile reports in project status
- Manage budget and purchase equipment/materials
- Comply with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety etc and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required
- Proven working experience in civil engineering
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualizations software such as AutoCAD,Civil 3D or similar
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, regulatory approvals etc
- Project management and supervision skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- License of professional engineer
- BS/MA in Civil Engineering
Job Type: Full-time
Senior Level program manager responsible for the planning and successful execution of all internal or customer funded development and production programs within boundaries of the negotiated cost, schedule and technical requirements meeting contractual commitments. Coordinates and monitors the scheduling, pricing, and technical performance of assigned programs. Responsibilities also include supporting the negotiation of contracts and contractual changes and coordinating preparations of proposals, plans, specifications, and financial conditions of contracts. Ensures adherence to master plans and schedules develops solutions to program problems, and directs work of incumbents assigned to program from various departments.
- Lead the Program Management team with ultimate responsibility for meeting technical, cost schedule, QA, financial and contractual performance commitments.
- Primary point of contact for customer & voice of the organization to customer on existing and follow on programs.
- Implement Program Management systems and tools on a variety of projects.
- Perform Program Management duties as necessary on significant efforts.
- Establish, communicate program objectives, and priorities to the program team and the facility leadership team.
- Establish and maintains a Program Plan for each program/customer.
- Interpret, translate, and flow down program requirements into the Program Plan.
- Establish a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for each program / proposal .
- Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Identify staffing requirements by program based on established program plan and ensure that project staffing requirements are accurately communicated.
- Monitor compliance with program master plans and schedules, including milestones and performance.
- Implement a Baseline Change Management process on assigned programs.
- Conduit for raising conflicts/issues within the projects to senior management for resolution.
- Identify & manage risk and opportunities to meet program objectives.
- Provide recognition and maintain morale and motivation of program staff.
- Provide internal program reporting on a monthly basis.
- Ensure proposal submittals, schedules, cost estimates, program execution plans, risk assessments and technical solutions are accurate, timely and executable.
Minimum Qualifications (If the candidate does not meet the minimum specified, they are not eligible for hire and are not considered as a qualified applicant for reporting purposes):
Formal Education required (Minimum)
Minimum of a BS in Engineering, MS and/or MBA preferred, with a minimum of 8 years space flight payloads experience in program management / responsibilities that emphasizes customer interaction, program control and execution..
Experience required (Minimum)
A minimum of ten (10) years space flight payloads experience in program management / responsibilities that emphasizes customer interaction, program control and execution...
Specific knowledge and/or skills
Knowledge of advanced mechanical systems and devices including their principles of operation and functional design. Skilled and proficient in the use of hand and power tools (including torque wrenches, precision measuring devices) and maintenance support equipment (vacuum and pressure pumps, jacks and lifting devices, access equipment) used in the operation, maintenance, alteration, and repair of pneumatic, cryogenic, hydraulic, HVAC, and other liquid, and control systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully with demanding customers, difficult schedules and technically challenging projects.
- Program management skills must include: planning and budgeting, schedule development, change control, risk mitigation and financial performance / earned value.
- Excellent written and presentation skills, with the ability to clearly and competently convey program objectives and priorities to the program team and the organization.
- Leadership and interpersonal skills with the experience to run programs in a matrix organization.
- Knowledge of fabricated optical components and sensor assemblies preferred; PMI Certification a plus
- U.S. Citizen Status required.
- Solid leadership skills, leading by example and behaves with the highest integrity.
- Team builder that fosters collaborative relationships.
- Drives excellence in everything.
- Fosters innovation and creativity.
- Creates a culture of learning, provides development through training, and mentoring.
- Makes meaningful commitments and meets them.
- Breadth of business acumen skills.
- Proactive with excellent planning and execution skills.
C. Complexity of Duties: (extent of: variability of duties; procedure availability, planning)
Work duties have a high degree of variability. Requires use of multiple methods and procedures in combination. Must interpret guidelines, policies and procedures and adapt to changing situations. Create plans, establish priorities and allocate resources to achieve a specific objective.
D. Independent Judgment and Decision Making: (level of supervision provided, examples of where person has discretion and exercises independent judgment in decisions)
Work may be assigned by others but is performed independently with limited oversight. Attention to detail in project activities is a must. Exercise of good judgment is a requirement as are the practice honesty and integrity in all activities.
Job Type: Full-time
Virginia Commercial Space Flight Authority aims to provide safe, reliable, and responsive Space Access at competitive prices, and is proud to offer full-service launch facilities for commercial, government, scientific and academic users both foreign and domestic. We have an opening for a Controls Engineer at our Mid Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) on Wallops Island, located on the Eastern Shore. The Controls Engineer supports the overall technical direction of engineered systems at MARS facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs needs assessment, development, and leads the operating, testing, and maintenance procedures for: engineering work packages for internal and external execution including those for hazardous operations, system drawings, trouble-shooting plans, certification documentation, as well as system performance metrics and supporting documentation.
- Manage and oversee the development and maintenance of operational system parameters related to system operational requirements.
- Supervises and participate in field inspections and reviews of operational launch pad systems to assess conformance with design and operational requirements.
- Supervises and generates system change documentation to increase operating efficiency, performance, safety, and reliability.
- Manages, generates, reviews, and develops solutions Investigation Test Repair (ITR) reports Non-Conformance (NC) reports for launch pad systems.
- Supervises development of Material for Change Configuration Board (CCB) and Design Reviews
- Defines required engineering processes.
- Supervise the development and maintenance of detailed technical resources on MARS launch pad systems.
- Provides guidance and instruction to junior engineering positions on functional and operational understanding of the launch pad systems.
- Manages, supervises, and inspects the performance of fieldwork on the launch pad systems.
- Directs coordination with other internal groups including Quality and Safety teams, and the Pad management team.
- Plans formal training for the MARS technical staff, as needed, to support maintenance and operation and required certifications.
- Responsible for oversight and management of maintenance, alteration, and operational tasks safely, efficiently and within allocated budget/schedule.
- Develops, reviews, and approves task requirements and task plans that include budget/cost estimates, schedule, performance criteria, as while maintaining compliance with all Pad Management, Quality, Certification, and Cleanliness Documentation, and Safety Policies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and secure reliable transportation to the Authority’s Norfolk Office to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Offices and facilities on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
- Must be able to maintain secured access to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and supporting facilities.
- Position requires a strong base of knowledge of engineering practices and principles. Experience with pneumatic, cryogenic, hydraulic and other liquid, and control systems preferred.
- Position requires experience in designing, developing, installing, managing and maintaining equipment which is used to monitor and control engineering systems, machinery and processes.
- Position requires detailed knowledge of electrical and mechanical control systems including but not limited to Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) loop tuning and Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
- Requires use of several methods and procedures in combination.
- Must effectively demonstrate the ability to create plans, establish priorities and allocate resources to achieve a specific objective.
- Must be flexible in working cross-discipline with other engineers.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or a related field (physics, chemistry, biomechanics) from an accredited college or university or equivalent combination of education and experience. At least five years of directly related work experience with complex engineered systems is required. Direct work experience with space launch ground support systems is desired. At least seven years of related work experience in the design, development, construction, or operation of complex systems with Professional Engineer licensure or equivalent responsible charge will fulfill prior five year directly related work experience requirement.
Job Type: Full-time
General Job Summary
Safety Engineer supports the safety oversight of the engineered systems at MARS. Areas of safety support may include: cryogenic, pneumatic, hydraulic, fuel, electrical, control, structural, explosive, and water systems. Position requires a safety and general engineering background. Work directly with customers and technical field staff in a team environment. Work products are produced with minimal oversight and require review prior to presentation to levels above management staff or customers. Provide working solutions to safety issues that occur in the field to enable work to be continued quickly and safely.
A. Specific Duties
- Develop, implement, and maintain site specific safety policies, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. Develop and maintain all processes as outlined by OSHA, EPA, FAA, NASA, and VDEQ.
- Develop and implement schedule and operational requirements related to the safety projects and policies.
- Performs risk assessments for ground and customer flight operations.
- Develops job hazard maps analysis and PPE assessments.
- Monitor employee exposure to job hazards.
- Recommend process and product safety features that will reduce employees’ exposure to chemical, physical, and biological work hazards.
- Develop recommendations for remedial actions when safety policies are not met by employees or customers.
- Inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards.
- Complete and maintain required safety logs and reports.
- Maintain safety statistics and submit reports of performance as requested.
- Report, conduct, or review findings from accident investigations, facilities inspections, and environmental testing.
- Develop, implement, and maintain safety contingency plans (fires, hazard maps, etc.)
Develop safety solutions and documentation, focusing on system operating, testing, maintenance procedures, engineering work packages, hazardous operations, system drawings, trouble-shooting plans, certification documentation, and system performance metrics.
Generate system recommendations to increase safety, and reliability.
Develop Material for Safety Configuration Control Board and Design Reviews, provide input on engineering processes, provide an in-depth technical resource on the assigned system(s), develop a practical understanding of the pad systems as a whole.
Monitor and perform fieldwork on the assigned system(s); coordinate with other internal groups including QA, Operations, and the Pad Manager.
Must be willing and physically able to perform the aforementioned tasks.
B. Minimum Qualifications:
Formal Education required: Bachelor’s from an accredited college or university with major studies in engineering or a related field. Degree in Occupational Health Safety and/ or Engineering is preferred. Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Professional Engineer (PE) licensure desired.
Experience required: 2 or more years of experience in the design, development, and general operations oversight of environmental, health and safety disciplines required. Advanced degree or licensure may be substituted for 2 years’ experience.
Specific knowledge and/or skills: Experience with hazardous launch pad systems, including pneumatic, cryogenic, hydrocarbon, explosives, propellants, and electrical operations, is required. Must be able to work with other departments and have a high degree of interaction with highly skilled engineers and technicians. Requires work in a high-concentration/ high-stress environment.
Complexity of Duties: Work duties have a high degree of variability. Duties require the use of several methods and procedures in combination. Must interpret guidelines, policies, and procedures to fit changing situations. Create plans, establish priorities, and allocate resources to achieve a specific objective.
Independent Judgment and Decision Making: Work may be assigned by others but performed independently with little or no oversight. Position is considered to be the technical expert on safety within the MARS organization. Exercise of good judgment, honesty, and integrity is required.
Does the Position supervise others? No
- Typically, the work may be performed sitting down. No special physical demands are required. There may be some walking, standing, bending and carrying of light items such as paper, books, small equipment and supplies.
- Work requires some moderate physical exertion such as periods or standing, walking over rough uneven or rocky surfaces; recurring bending, crouching, stooping, stretching reaching or lifting of moderately heavy items (10-25 lbs).
- Work requires considerable and strenuous physical exertion such as frequent climbing, lifting heavy objects over 50 pounds, crouching or crawling in restricted areas.
- Typical office or laboratory environment. No significant exposure to risks or discomforts.
- Work involves moderate discomforts which require special precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, carts or machinery, working with irritant chemicals, conducting field work in various outdoor weather conditions.
- Work environment involves significant risks with exposure to potentially dangerous or extremely adverse conditions which require a range of safety and other precautions, e.g. field work and research vessels, exposure to tropical diseases, travel to remote areas.