Careers at Virginia Space
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients. Whether it's preparing for a launch or working on our UAS runway, our industry promises to be fun and full of new experiences.
Browse through all open positions and pick the challenge that excites you most.
Virginia Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Under limited supervision, this position is primarily responsible for complex and technologically challenging projects, supporting the planning, design, procurement, construction, and operation of assets and projects. Areas of support include: building systems, structural, working directly with customers, logistical demands and generate project schedule, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Lead project stakeholders, engineers, and technical staff on a major project, providing necessary management and support to assure technical, cost, and schedule deliverables.
- Work directly with the customer, support contractors, and Virginia Space management/technical staff to ensure all projects are completed according to mission requirements.
- Ensure all plans, specifications, safety policies, and environmental procedures are implemented and followed throughout entire span of project to ensure compliance and satisfaction with all VCSFA customers.
- Coordinate every logistical demand of the project to include manpower, equipment, and parts procurement.
- Identify project scope and the method of construction required for a project in order to develop detailed cost breakdowns and estimates.
- Generate project activity schedules, track activity progress against schedule, develop cost budgets for projects, track project costs, ensure performance and quality metrics are met, and provide reports to the assigned Supervisor.
- Conduct frequent field inspections and reviews of project activities to assess conformance with design and operational requirements and to identify deficiencies. Make formal reports of findings for inspections and reviews to the Assigned Supervisor.
- Maintain seamless lines of communication with all project stakeholders to complete tasks on-time, within budget, and within scope.
- Develop, maintain, and report technical performance metrics, effectively measuring the level of performance in relation to project and mission objectives.
- Continuously develop an advanced understanding of the operational systems as a whole and apply that knowledge to prevent unintended conflicts between existing systems and new projects.
- Responsible for employing the MARS project management software platform, ensuring that all construction related communication between internal and external parties is adequately facilitated and executed to support project timelines. Such communication includes but is not limited to Requests for Information (RFI), submittals, transmittals, drawing/specifications, and daily construction logs.
- Provide periodic training on the MARS project management software platform to both internal and external parties to ensure proficiency amongst all project stakeholders.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of 2 years of experience in a related field.
- 10 years’ experience may substitute bachelor’s degree requirement.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite is desired, specifically with Excel and Project programs.
- Experience leading a major project from start to finish.
- Experience participating/collaborating in fast-paced project team environment.
- Applicant must have excellent oral and written communication skills and have the ability to effectively communicate with the customer as well as executive-level management.
- Must be a self-starter and willing to take on challenges.