Careers at Virginia Space
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients. Whether it's preparing for a launch or working on our UAS runway, our industry promises to be fun and full of new experiences.
Browse through all open positions and pick the challenge that excites you most.
(VCSFA), also known as ‘Virginia Space,' is a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Virginia Space owns and operates the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) and the MARS UMS Airfield.
Virginia Space aims to provide and is proud to offer full-service launch and drone testing facilities for commercial, government, scientific and academic users.
Summary/General Description of Job:
In this role you will manage and coordinate all aspects of the procurement of materials and/or services; oversees activities and operations of the purchasing department and staff. Work Includes reviewing requests, talking to vendors and department officials, examining price, suitability, and availability of items or services comparing specifications, and reviewing alternatives to ensure purchase requests are fulfilled.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
- Create a Purchasing System for the company including policies, procedures, and purchasing practices that comply with Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS)
- Maintain an organization plan that establishes clear lines of authority and responsibility
- Ensure all POs are based on authorized requisitions and include a complete and accurate history of purchase transactions to support vendor selected, price paid, and document the PO files which are subject to Government review.
- Use competitive sourcing to the maximum extent practicable.
- Evaluate price, quality, delivery, technical capabilities, and financial capabilities of competing vendors to ensure fair and reasonable prices.
- Perform internal audits or management reviews, training, and maintain policies and procedures for the purchasing department to ensure the integrity of the purchasing system.
- Leads strategically critical projects that bring exceptional value to the company through total cost reduction, key supplier relationships, commodity focus, supplier consolidation, cost/benefit financial analysis, and supplier quality management.
- Ensures compliance with government and appropriate corporate policies and procedures for purchasing/subcontract activities.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to assure departmental effectiveness and compliance.
- Obtains purchasing specifications for programs based on functional requirements.
- Determines purchase requirements; generates and reschedules purchase orders for sourced goods.
- Prepares required reports; provides detailed analysis of purchased goods.
- Maintains vendor evaluation program and reports on on-time delivery, quality, and responsiveness.
- Identifies, documents, and implements opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Hires, trains, supervises, motivates, and develops purchasing department staff; manages schedules and workflow.
- Assigns duties and monitors quality of work; assures staff conforms to organizational policies and procedures and government regulations.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates; actively works to promote and recognize performance.
- Keeps up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) in related field or equivalent
- Four to six years related experience or equivalent
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Proficient on Enterprise Resource Planning software packages for Procurement and Accounting.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method.
- Willing to travel
- Norfolk / Wallops Island
- EEO / AA / Disabled / Protected Veteran Employer. Continental offers equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals, without regard to unlawful consideration to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, national origin, disability
Virginia Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.