Careers at Virginia Space
At Virginia Space, we're working on solving the challenges that take us a step closer to our mission first, safety always approach to successfully supporting our clients. Whether it's preparing for a launch or working on our UAS runway, our industry promises to be fun and full of new experiences.
Browse through all open positions and pick the challenge that excites you most.
Virginia Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Project Manager - Construction
Reports to: Sr. Project Manager Location: Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport
A project-oriented management position that oversees and coordinates VCSFA projects that include construction projects for the expansion, improvement, and major modifications to MARS infrastructure, launch vehicle and spacecraft integration with the MARS infrastructure, and cradle to grave coordination of permits and approvals for assigned projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible to the Assigned Supervisor. for overall project management related to cost, schedule and performance of assigned projects.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable licenses, regulations, and directives in the conduct of assigned projects.
- Position requires a strong, technically orientated construction and operations management background with a focus on space launch vehicles/spacecraft and space launch ground systems.
- Works directly with customer, support contractors, and VCSFA technical and management staff in a team environment to ensure the delivery of projects on-time, within cost budgets, and quality and performance requirements.
- Performs as the main point of contact for inter-launch range and launch customer interactions coordinating timely responses to customer needs and requests for assistance with launch vehicle and spacecraft processing and integration.
- Manage, coordinate, and oversee projects for the expansion, improvement, and major modification of MARS infrastructure.
- Generate project activity schedules, track activity progress against schedule, develop cost budgets for projects, track project costs, ensure performance and quality metrics are met, and provide reports to the Assigned Supervisor.
- Manage and coordinate obtaining all required permits and approvals for the conduct of assigned projects and ensure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and directives in the conduct of those projects.
- Conduct frequent field inspections and reviews of project activities to assess conformance with design and operational requirements and to identify deficiencies. Make formal reports of findings for inspections and reviews to the Assigned Supervisor.
- Responsible for the completion of assigned projects safely and efficiently within allocated budget/schedule in accordance with VCSFA/MARS safety, quality assurance, cleanliness, and certification policies and requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to develop and present PowerPoint presentations on projects.
- Must be able to maintain mental clarity and efficiency in work in a stressful aerospace/ construction environment.
- Must be able to work well with demanding customers to deliver confidence in ability and promote long-term business relationships.
- Must be able to understand, follow, and promote OSHA safety guidelines in the workplace.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and secure reliable transportation to the Authority’s Norfolk Office to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Offices and facilities on Virginia’s Eastern Shore.
- Must be able to maintain secured access to the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport and supporting facilities.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have experience with project scheduling techniques including Microsoft Project or equivalent software.
- Position requires a strong base of knowledge of construction and facilities practices and principles.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical and management skills applied to the control of projects. Knowledge of commercial construction codes and requirements; and skilled in the reading and interpretation of engineering and construction drawings, specifications, and blueprints is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge and skills in project cost estimation, cost tracking, cost reporting, schedule development, schedule tracking, schedule reporting, and critical path analysis.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Education and/or Experience
Associates or bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major studies in project management, public administration, business, engineering or science. Advanced Degree or credentials in project management or public administration is desired but not required. An additional 4 years relevant experience my substitute for the degree requirement.
Applicants must be team oriented, flexible and focused on maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. If you are team oriented, have the above qualifications and enjoy a high-volume, fast paced work environment, this position may be for you!